Trends
Photographer cartoon caricature

10 Stupid Things People Believe About Photographers

Last Updated on July 9, 2021 by PixelPluck

Working as a Photographer is great fun and is also a very creative job. But often people do have misconceptions regarding Photographers and their expensive equipment. Photography is fun but definitely not an easy job for professionals. It takes a lot of effort and planning to execute a photography project. These are the 10 stupid things people believe about photographers. These are common misconceptions about photographers. Photography is more than clicking a button and it takes a lot of effort and skill to make photography a form of art. That is why experienced photographers can take better photos than amateurs in variable situations.

Misconceptions About Photographers

Here is a list of the top 10 stupid things people believe about photographers. The things range from stupid to wild. There are many more misconceptions that are not true. Here we take a look at the top ones.

Oh! It’s Just About Pressing a Button

No, it’s about visualizing an image before its made, it’s about framing and composition, it’s about getting the exposure right, it’s about choosing the right shutter speed, it’s about being at the right ISO, it’s about having the correct aperture value, it’s about setting the right focus mode, it’s about choosing the right lens and camera and everything else that you couldn’t imagine.

Friends Will Work for Free

No, they won’t. They have invested a lot of money. Where are they going to get it back from? A professional DSLR may cost as much as a car. Check for example Nikon D6 or Canon 1Dx which when paired with top prime lenses, will cost you up and above the price of a small car. A professional makes an investment in photography gear to get returns. Never ask someone to work for free. It is unethical to ask a professional to work for free.

Better Gear Makes Better Photographs

As good as a good Stove makes better food. A better gear in hands of an amateur will never give you professional results. Photography is more about the skill of the photographer and less about the quality of gear. A good professional can give you better results with any gear. They use the best only to give you the best possible result. Remember, a photographer’s skill and experience are more important than that the price and size of the camera gear.

My friend Can Photograph the Wedding

Your friend can take snaps at the wedding. But he won’t be as good as a professional. Well anyone can take snaps at an event. However, be ready to be disappointed in terms of quality. Photography is an art and not everyone is an artist. It is more than just clicking a shutter button. A professional photographer knows how to control the light. An amateur doesn’t. You don’t want your best moment to be under or over-exposed or in the worse cases be totally missed.

They Have No Right to photograph in public

If a photographer is in a public area in most western countries then they can photograph just about anything. The matter of importance is where and how he is going to use those images. (Check the laws in your own country for specifics). Off-course they should be polite about it. Public places are not private areas and the subjects can at most request their faces to be blurred for privacy.
Check the Rights of Photographer for more info.

Great Photograph, It Must be Photoshopped

Most professionals get most of the work done straight in-camera. Many are actually very good at it and get stunning images before they get anywhere near a computer. That is what makes them good at their craft. That is why they study. That is why they practice. And mind you, Photoshop is not the only editing software!

XYZ Takes Better Photos Than You

Every good photographer has his own style and work process. What you think is good may be the worst for others. It’s a very subjective thing that depends on the visual taste of an individual. Well XYZ may be better but in comparison with your visual taste for others.

Discounts and More Discount

Discounts are okay! But there is always some limit. Photographers have their own expenses and need to pay for their expensive equipment. Don’t force your photographer for a discount. The photos may come out discounted in terms of creativity and quality when you force discounts.

I Know a Guy Who Can Do It Much Cheaper

Yes, yes, everybody knows a friend of a friend who can do the photography job for a third of the cost. The kicker is that a photography business is an expensive one to run and you get what you pay for. If you’re happy enough to risk your cheap shooter, then go for it. Just don’t use it as a cheap bargaining ploy when you’re talking to a professional.

I Can Shoot Better Than You If I Shoot Regularly

Well then who stops you? Grab a camera, go shoot, and take photographs. If you can really do better then you really should be doing it.


What do you think? What are the most stupid things that you faced? Let us know in the comments below.

Check Also

evf vs ovf

EVF vs OVF – Viewfinder Comparison

Last Updated on October 4, 2021 by PixelPluck There are two types of the viewfinder …

13 comments

  1. Number 3 is rubbish, Better gear makes better photos / only as good as a better stove makes better cooking ! A chef can use a stove as long as it can keep a constant temperature. Give a Photographer a point and shoot compact camera is he going to get the same results as he would with a 5D mk iii. skill is important but it is dumb to say the camera quality does not play a huge part in the equation. A camera is like a race car in the right hands it will handle and perform greatly, without the skill to use it you won’t get optimum performance.

    • IF A BETTER GEAR MAKES BETTER PHOTOS THEN WITH A BETTER PEN ANY ONE CAN WRITE A NOVEL..
      A BETTER GEAR JUST ONLY MAKING YOUR WAY EASIER NOTHING ELSE…

    • Working as an advertising industrial photographer here in Singapore, I believe the author was most likely trying to explain shooting on a mid-end camera body to one like the EOS1. Or from a full to medium format camera. There are good working cameras that perform equally well. The trend is for video production company to deploy more such DSLR based cameras for filming assignments. A 5Dmark3 serves this well. Of course having a C300 would be better, but unless the shoot entails very complex advertising requirements for lighting mostly, the 5D still works well and is economically better for the client.

    • Better gear/tools helps you get things get done faster , better quality and access to some areas that normal or low quality gear/tools cannot do. (simplest example, low light situations)

      But better gear/tools will not teach you how to use them! so getting them without knowing ho to use them properly, equals stupidity.

    • No. 3. I think the writer was referring to the content of the image. One will not become a world champion with a Ferrarri.

  2. Being a photographer i really believe these are true things you have shared completely great.

    • Equipment is as important as skill. Both must go together. You will be limited with your creativity if you don’t have a proper gear. Yes you can do 70 percent of good photos with a basic point and shoot but what about the other 30 percent. Simple explanation is you can let a professional racing driver drive an ordinary car and you can let a basic driver drive a ferrari. Do you think a professional driver can win on a drag race? Of course not. But the professional driver can win on a technical course over the ferrari with an ordinary driver against an ordinary car Because of his technical knowledge. But then imagine letting the professional driver drive a ferarri. Then he can use his full potential on all aspect of driving because he is not limited anymore. I do believe that equipment is important on photography but you must have the technical knowledge and skills.to come along with it.

  3. Equipment is as important as skill. Both must go together. You will be limited with your creativity if you don’t have a proper gear. Yes you can do 70 percent of good photos with a basic point and shoot but what about the other 30 percent. Simple explanation is you can let a professional racing driver drive an ordinary car and you can let a basic driver drive a ferrari. Do you think a professional driver can win on a drag race? Of course not. But the professional driver can win on a technical course over the ferrari with an ordinary driver against an ordinary car Because of his technical knowledge. But then imagine letting the professional driver drive a ferarri. Then he can use his full potential on all aspect of driving because he is not limited anymore. I do believe that equipment is important on photography but you must have the technical knowledge and skills.to come along with it.

  4. its all about talents and skills

  5. It would be cool to explore the other side with a followup article “Ten Stupid Things Photographers Believe about Themselves”. 🙂

    • Funny how some people really make a fool out of themselves when they think they are really being smart. Lowly customer….pull up your pants…your ass is showing….lol. There is one of the STUPID things a lowly customer believes about yourself…lol !!!!!!\

Leave a Comment